AMBOSS Global Health Initiative
Empowering All Doctors to Provide the Best Possible Care
When we said it’s our mission to empower all doctors to provide the best possible care, we meant all doctors. So, a global health approach was never far from our thoughts. Today, access to quality health care is dangerously lacking and we believe we can offer part of the solution. We know the power our product holds to create positive change on a global level and we’re working hard to harness it!
The Global Health Initiative is our not-for-profit division that strives to provide up-to-date, evidence-based and innovative digital medical knowledge specifically to low- and middle-income countries (LMICs):
- Our goal is to provide access to digital medical information and reinforce the skills and competencies of health care professionals, regardless of regional economic status, in order to improve quality of care.
- Our vision is to strengthen health systems and to contribute to universal health coverage through medical knowledge, in order to advance the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Global Health at Risk
We’re in the depths of a global human resources crisis in health care and competent health care professionals are in high demand, especially in LMICs. This shortage has a considerable impact on local health care systems – systems that are already fragile and in desperate need of drastic improvements in the quality of care they can provide.
|The World Health Organization flagged a critical shortage in human resources for health in 57 countries, with 36 of these in Africa. It is estimated that 4 million health care professionals are needed to bridge this gap, 1.5 million in Africa alone. (Source)||Approximately 3.5 million deaths occur every year in LMICs from preventable diseases due to the non-utilization of health services, and approximately 5 million deaths are directly attributed to poor quality of care. (Source)|
Why is AMBOSS Part of the Remedy?
Through the Global Health Initiative, we fill this resource gap, while contributing to building highly educated healthcare professionals of the future and to strengthening those currently practicing in a healthcare setting.
When AMBOSS is utilized and applied in the right place at the right time, we can make a huge difference. Why?
- Because all the medical information on AMBOSS is relevant, evidence-based, and up-to-date!
- Because anyone with access to a smartphone can benefit from AMBOSS and so can their patients!
- Because it’s accessible offline and can therefore assist health care professionals in areas with little or no internet connection!
AMBOSS & the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Working towards achieving the SDGs is a responsibility we hold very close to our hearts – one we will be amplifying through the Global Health Initiative. In March 2020, we were honored and humbled when we were awarded a UN World Summit Award. These awards honor digital innovations that contribute most to the sustainable development of society. Our contributions towards achieving SDG 4 (quality education) and SDG 9 (industry, innovation, and infrastructure) won us this award, but our commitment to the SDGs doesn’t end there.
By 2030, 18 million highly skilled and competent health care providers are urgently needed to achieve Universal Health Coverage and the two SDGs that focus on health and well-being (SDG 3) and education (SDG 4).
By empowering health care providers in LMICs through better learning opportunities, we can help fill the void and address these goals!
The Global Health Initiative at Work
For a relatively new initiative, we’ve been busy! Not only have we been working around the clock to provide vital resources to doctors working on the front lines of the current global Coronavirus pandemic, but we’re also supporting over 10 LMICs through various activities. Here’s a peek at what we’ve been up to:
Meet the Team!
- Omar Cherkaoui, MD, MPH: Head of the Global Health Initiative
- Leah F. Bohle, MD, MA, BA: External Expert
- Sievert Weiss, MD: Advisor and AMBOSS Co-Founder
Please feel free to reach out to Omar at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions regarding the Global Health Initiative.
Come and join us on our mission to empower all doctors to provide the best possible care, we’re hiring!